This may be the most genius recipe I have concocted thus far in my life. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but also maybe not. This recipe checks all the boxes for me when I think about my ideal dinner (or lunch, or snack......I have already had as both!). It is...
Less than 30 minutes
Minimal cooking skills required
I can picture in my mind using this meal as a really easy way that athletes can get in nutritious, quality carbohydrates during high training volumes. It is an excellent option for endurance athletes looking to increase their carbohydrate intake during their taper and to carb load leading up to their event. This recipe features;
Delicious Taco Seasoning
The tortilla, sweet potatoes and black beans are the stars of the show - providing complex carbohydrates that will load up those glycogen (energy) stores and provide lasting energy. The black beans and shredded cheese provide protein for optimal recovery and to maintain adequate muscle stores.
All you need for this recipe is a large pot and a pan to fry up the tortilla! It takes less than 30 minutes, and can likely be altered based off of leftovers you have in your fridge or even pantry staples in your home. I am notorious for seeing recipes like speed limits, their "suggestions". I love a recipe that I can easily substitute ingredients that I have on hand, or simply other ingredients that I just prefer. That can easily be done with this recipe, scroll to the recipe for ideas!
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Serves: ~4 Cook Time: 15 minutes Prep Time: 5 minutes
1 lb Sweet Potatoes
1 - 15 oz. can Black Beans
2. Drain and rinse black beans.
2 Bell Peppers, diced
3. Combine black beans, bell peppers, onion and 1 packet of taco seasoning with the sweet potatoes. Mix until well combined.
1 Red Onion, diced
4. Heat a pan on medium heat, options to use olive oil, cooking spray, or butter as the fat to fry your quesadilla.
4 oz. Shredded Cheese
5. As the pan is heating up, scoop the sweet potato mixture onto a tortilla and spread it out so that it covers half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla over and place in the pan once heated.
1/2 - 1 oz. Taco Seasoning Packet*
6. Flip the quesadilla after ~2-3 minutes, and let the other side cook for another ~2-3 minutes until the tortilla is nice and crisp on both sides.
4 Flour Tortillas
7. Repeat the tortilla prep and cooking process for the last 3 tortillas. Serve immediately by itself or with additional toppings.
Toppings (optional): sour cream, salsa, avocado/guacamole (my personal favorite)
*Notes: In this recipe I used Siete's taco seasoning packet. I absolutely loved it. 10/10 recommend. However, any seasoning packet will do. Add more seasoning to taste, or less. You do you.
Ingredients you could swap for the...
Black Beans: Any other kind of bean you fancy, also steak, shredded chicken, fish, or tempeh would be excellent.
Bell Peppers & Onions: the sky is the limit, do you have leftover dark leafy greens like spinach to get rid of? Tomatoes? Roasted Vegetables like; brussels sprouts, asparagus? Or even a can of corn? All of these could be a fun twist to your quesadilla and a way you can reduce food waste in the home.
For Vegan: substitute shredded cheese for a dairy-free shredded cheese, or you could use nutritional yeast for a plant-based, cheesy kick. Use oil for frying the tortilla.
Make this recipe and love it? Take a picture and share it to Instagram or Facebook and tag @flexiblenutritionllc!
Maddi Osburn RDN LD